support group and knowledge-sharing community caring about easy load testing
We are excited to announce the release of v4.2 today.
Main focus: The main focus of v4.2 was to bring the depth of performance reporting to a level exceeding existing enterprise load testing tools. Now for the first time you can compare virtual user experience for any selected VUs and iterations in the context of a load test using dual waterfall charts. This allows to visualize requests most vulnerable to increased load levels and their impact on the application's responsiveness.
Another example is VU activity charts which now show the activity of all VUs on a timeline as it is related to every page, transaction and iteration. It makes specific user impact more transparent as to how it affects performance metrics which are otherwise difficult to analyze in high intensity load testing.
What's New: Here are the main v4.2 highlights:
DESIGNING TEST CASES
- Loops with…Continue
Test Pass/Fail Qualification
1. Test Pass/Fail Qualification. You can define custom test quality criteria which will define the Pass/Fail outcome of the test. The list of available criteria includes percentage of page goal misses, transaction goal misses, request errors and request timeouts http://support.stresstimulus.com/display/doc42/Configuring+Test+Pass-Fail+Qualification
2. Pass/Fail Status in the test results. Test Pass/Fail Status is displayed in the test result's Summary view. If test failed any of its quality criteria, a list of failing conditions will be displayed as well. …Continue
Test Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
1. Comparing multiple Verify results to further help with test configuration. In previous versions, subsequent runs of Verify overrode previous results. In this version, every verify run creates its own result set in a separate tab. This allows to deeper analyze test script integrity by comparing several verify runs. For example, you can compare two verifies executed for different virtual users. http://support.stresstimulus.com/display/doc42/Verifying+the+Test+Case
2. Compare Session Inspector – 5 new views. In the previous versions, it had only one raw request / response view. In order to pinpoint…Continue
Released today, v4.2 update 2 includes the following features and enhancements:
1. Defining Threshold Rules. To simplify monitoring servers and load agents, now you can define threshold rules. For any of the server or agent performance counters (a) you can define a warning value (b) and a critical value (c) to be monitored. When the actual value of the counter reaches the threshold, a warning or error is triggered (see http://support.stresstimulus.com/display/doc42/Threshold+Rules )
2. Reporting Threshold violations. The number of threshold violations is presented on the real-time dashboard and on the performance report. Curves on which the threshold is defined will…Continue
1. Test VU Activity Chart. The new view in the test report shows activity of every VU associated with the load test. It allows to visualize the VUs’ actions and how they relate to other VUs' actions. VU Activity chart helps to isolate performance issues by seeing how load patterns and test case concurrences correlate with slower test iterations (see http://support.stresstimulus.com/display/doc42/VU+Activity+View).
2. Transaction or page VU Activity Chart. The VU Activity Chart for a page or a transaction shows on the test timeline, which VUs requested the page or executed the transaction on a…Continue
1. Opening test result without a test. Previously, a test must have been opened before its result could be displayed. This caused limitation in distributing test results without the entire test. In this update, in order to open a test result, you just need to have a single SQL CE file. You do not need to have the entire test. This makes it easier to share individual test runs. See http://support.stresstimulus.com/display/doc42/Opening+an+SQL+CE+file
2. Analyzing Agent local analytics. During the test run, a significant amount of performance information is collected from the agents. Only part of this data, which is most important for…Continue
1. Test wizard improvement. The option to add a new test case or replace an existing one is presented in the beginning of the test wizard now. When adding a new test case, you can specify test case name. When replacing an existing test case, the existing name will be used. This design improved test case name consistency. See http://support.stresstimulus.com/display/doc42/Recording-Test-Case
2. New non-browser Client option. In the Browser Settings section, a new option Non-Browser Application is added. Use this option to emulate behavior of a non-browser RIA, such as Silverlight or Flex-based application.…Continue
One of the most effective tools for evaluating the web performance-related user experience is a Waterfall chart. It depicts a timeline diagram of requesting and loading page resources. Waterfall charts are broadly used by performance engineers to granularly analyze factors impacting page responsiveness. Up till now however, waterfall charts were used to analyze user experience without tying it into the overall load considerations of a website.
In v4.2, for the 1st time in the industry, waterfall charts are extended beyond analyzing a single user's experience and instead are measured in conjunction with website load conditions, see …Continue
1. Page or transaction Latency view. A new view was added to all Page and Transaction reports showing total response time breakdown between Latency (a) and Server Time (b). (see http://support.stresstimulus.com/display/doc42/Latency+View)
2 . Single-document option for external reports. Previously, external reports were created as multiple hyper-linked hierarchical HTML pages with a report and sub reports. If you needed to create a single report printout or import it into a MS Word document it was a manual process. In the current version, a new single-document option is added. It is described here…Continue
1. Loops with transactions. In the previous version, loops could include only requests but not transactions. In this version, loops with a transaction allow to more granularly monitor performance of various parts of the loop. User can create a loop containing multiple transactions as described here http://support.stresstimulus.com/display/doc42/Loops
2. Think time in transactions. Previously, think time was available only in pages. Now transactions support Think time as well, as described here http://support.stresstimulus.com/display/doc42/Transactions . As a result, you…Continue